It’s a busy world. I am busy, you are busy. Even our kids are busy… Busy, busy busy!!!
Technology is changing at a rapid pace. Very few of us have the time (or the inclination) to keep up with it.
Even if you did have the time to keep up with technology change in your industry, chances are you would not have the time to think strategically about it, analysing, comparing and contrasting the different tech options to decide which best fits your specific businesses problems. You are probably just too busy, right?
In today’s business world where everyone has got a degree (or two), the nature of work, especially knowledge work, has become increasingly specialised. Think about Law for example. Not too long ago we used to study Law and become a Lawyer. You could specialise in criminal, family, commercial and tax law. Nowadays there is a specialisation for law in all walks of life; banking, environmental, media, consumer, international, civil, public administration…. and the list goes on. IT has gone down the same path. Not too long ago we used to study IT and become an IT Nerd (or their less helpful cousins, Geeks). You could specialise in hardware, software application development or infrastructure. Nowadays there is a specialisation for architecture, artificial intelligence, IOT, machine learning, cloud, cyber security, networking, communications, data management….and so on and so forth.
Within this context, as your SME grows and changes to suit the shifting commercial environment, you have a couple of options:
- Hire a Jack of all Trades IT person, someone with some knowledge of all areas who can think at a strategic level and deliver at the desktop level. At an annual cost of $150-200k per year. The downside here, besides the significant price-tag, is the challenge of finding the right person. There is also the time investment of getting them up to speed and, if they are capable, they may be difficult to keep engaged and retained for the medium to long term.
- Engage a trusted technology partner and use them as a vCIO. “What is a vCIO” I hear you say? Let me bring you up to speed…..
A vCIO (Virtual Chief Information Officer) is a high-level IT professional who provides strategic guidance and leadership to a company, but does so remotely, typically through a Managed Services Provider (MSP). The vCIO acts as an outsourced CIO, delivering the same benefits as an in-house CIO without the high cost of employing a full-time executive.
A vCIO provides a wide range of services, including:
- IT strategy and planning: The vCIO helps the company develop an IT strategy that aligns with its overall business goals.
- Budgeting and cost management: The vCIO assists with developing an IT budget and ensures that the company is maximizing its IT investment.
- Risk management: The vCIO helps the company identify and manage IT-related risks, including cybersecurity and data privacy threats.
- Vendor management: The vCIO helps the company select and manage its IT vendors, ensuring that the company is getting the best value for its investment.
- Technical expertise: The vCIO provides the company with access to a wide range of technical expertise, including cloud computing, networking, security, and data management.
The vCIO model is becoming increasingly popular for small and mid-sized businesses, as it allows them to access high-level IT leadership and expertise at a fraction of the cost of employing a full-time CIO.
With over 25 years of experience in the IT industry, Atlantic Digital is well-equipped to provide businesses with the high-level IT leadership and expertise they need to succeed. Our team of experts has a deep understanding of the various industries and the unique needs of each, and we are always available and responsive whenever you have a need.
Atlantic Digital believe that every business deserves access to the best IT support and services, regardless of size or budget. That’s why the business offers a comprehensive vCIO service, designed to provide clients with the same benefits as an in-house CIO, but at a fraction of the cost.
Whether you’re looking for help with IT strategy and planning, budgeting and cost management, risk management, vendor management, or technical expertise, Atlantic Digital has the experience and expertise to deliver. The vCIO service, you can rest assured that your business is in good hands, and that your IT investments are delivering the results you need to succeed.
So if you’re looking for a reliable and experienced IT provider to support your business growth, look no further than Atlantic Digital. We’re here to help, and we’re ready to get started.